Hideo Ohtani, President of JAFSE
Welcoming address from the chairman
Scientific research of fire in Japan is said to have begun in the wake of the Great Kanto Earthquake. The late professor Torahiko Terada, who is well -known by his famous remark "Disaster strikes when you least expect it", was a physicist representing Japan and he applied the scientific approach to understanding fire phenomena, such as study of the Great Kanto Earthquake, and to the education of fire prevention. He published an essay titled "Fire Education" in January 1933. He appealed the necessity of fire training of citizens in the essay by referring the ravages of the Shirokiya department store fire.
Japan Association for Fire Science and Engineering (JAFSE) was founded in 1950. Founders of JAFSE including the first chairman Yoshikazu Uchida had experienced the Great Kanto Earthquake, the Shirokiya department store fire, and also the Hakodate conflagration. They hoped to apply the research results of their own to preventing fires and reducing damages from them.
One of the problems of the study of fire prevention and damage reduction is related to the variety of research. To understand the essence of fire requires knowledge of physics, chemistry, as well as of the social environment, including housing for preventing house fire. Psychology is also required in order to understand evacuation behavior. Medical knowledge is also necessary to know impacts of smoke and heat on human body. To grasp macro fire phenomenon statistics might be necessary. JAFSE is open to professionals in all fields. By exchanging of opinions at JAFSE, we can understand how each others’ specialized filed relate to one other. We believe, thereby scientific elucidation and fire prevention technology continue to progress.
In addition, JAFSE holds seminars and lectures concerning fire science and engineering every year to introduce current knowledge and technologies. We believe it is also a major mission to make our society safer against fire.
In recent years, conflagrations in urban areas have become rare, while large-scale and complex buildings, and the large-scale hazardous material storage facilities are increasing. The developments of new high-energy materials have also been actively carried out. For example, the batteries of electric vehicles or personal computers are capable of being used for a long time as it they have large-capacities. However, if an accident would occur, they will release more energy than the traditional ones. Such high energy storing and concentrating are progressing with various equipment. A new type of fire which we have not experienced in the past has occurred often. We also believe that it is necessary to contribute to the development of fire prevention technologies corresponding to the changes of the social environment.
We would appreciate for your kind support and cooperation with JAFSE.
Japan Association for Fire Science and Engineering Activities
The Japan Association for Fire Science and Engineering (JAFSE) assures the promotion and interchange of research of fire related science and technology by designating its purpose as contributing to the welfare of society and development of scientific technology.
- Hold Research Presentations and Conferences
- Hold Seminars, Workshops, Forums
- Publish Dissertation Collections, Research Papers and Books
- Research and Investigate Fire Topics
- Encourage Continuing Research
- Foster and Support Researchers
- Communicate and Cooperate With Other Domestic and International Organizations
- Other Day to Day Business
Japan Association for Fire Science and Engineering
Gakkai Center Bldg. 2-4-16 Yayoi Bunkyo-Ku, Tokyo 113-0032 Japan
TEL : +81-3-3813-8308
FAX : +81-3-5689-3577
- To join, please fill out and send the application below. There are no special requirements to join.You will receive an invoice later, so please send no money now.
- Annual Membership Fees are ¥6,000 for regular members, ¥8,000 for subscription members and a minimum of ¥50,000 for supporting members. (Support in increments of ¥50,000 is welcomed.)
- Regular members receive our journal "Kasai" (Published 6 times a year) and subscription and supporting members receive the journal "Kasai" as well as a collection of dissertations.
- Information (TEL : 03-3813-8308，E-mail : kasai50(at)sepia.ocn.ne.jp) *NOTE: Please replace "(at)" with "@" when you send an e-mail.